Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Vilafranca de Xira to Santarem

After roasting in the hot sun all day yesterday the rain this morning was a welcome and cooling change, for a while at least. It rained fairly steadily all the way to Azambuja so the only picture I took all day was this on of the church in Azambuja.

Soon after leaving there the route became a thick muddy mess through pastures and fields. A small collection of cows watched me intently as I slogged through the mud. My shoes felt like they weighted more than my backpack with several inches of mud built up on the bottoms. My pants were covered with mud nearly up to my knees too. Even when I rejoined the paved road it was also covered with mud. It was some of the slowest walking I have ever done. I walked about 30 miles and was so tired when I got to my hotel that I couldn't even force down my dinner. I vow to walk shorter distances from now on.

The most interesting thing I saw today was an enormous flock of white egrets. I couldn't get a picture because too many trees were in the way. They took off all at once flying up the river. They made so much noise that it sounded like a pride of roaring lions. I have seen lots of bird life. So far my travels have mostly been along the Rio Tejo and its tributaries. The rivers attract all sorts of waterfowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment