Monday, October 20, 2014

Ponte de Lima to Tui

I'm finally in Spain!
I left Ponte de Lima before dawn and almost immediately ended up with soaking wet muddy feet. It was sunny and clear but no one told the trails that it was time for them to dry out.

In one place the water was so deep that it looked nearly impassible. There was a small trail off to the side which just appeared to be a little shortcut around the flooded area. Boy was I wrong about that! I ended up in thick mud and finally reached a rock wall that I couldn't climb. I had to crawl under several heavy wires to even reach the wall. I gave up and decided to just brave the flooded area. I met two ladies who had taken the same bad shortcut and I warned them it was of no use. They decided to still give it a try. I plowed right through the water and at least washed away some of the mud.

When I got to the road I walked over to that wall to see how the two gals were doing. I did see them and told them I had made it through the water. I never saw them again but I'm sure they ended up doubling back just like I did.

Soon after, I came to a water fountain and completely washed both my shoes and socks. They never did get dry because there was mud and water on all of the trails, and most of today was on trail.

It was a beautiful route though. First I had to climb up a mountain pass. I actual combined two days of walking according to the guidebook. I reached the first intended destination at noon so obviously was not ready to stop then.

So I went all the way to Tui, Spain and even got there in time for a nice visit to the cathedral. I will reach Santiago in 5 more days.

No comments:

Post a Comment