Sunday, October 12, 2014

Coimbra

Last night I booked the fascinating Hotel Astoria so I knew I would have a real hotel for the night.

Once I got cleaned up and dried off I did some exploring and walked a few blocks around the town and cathedral along the Camino. That way I can continue from my hotel in the morning without stumbling around in the dark looking for tiny yellow arrows. From my hotel the path is straight along the river.

I went to the Se Velha Cathedral and Cloisters, one of the most important Romanesque monuments in Portugal. It was built in 1162. Because I was a pilgrim they stamped my credential and even waved the entry fee to visit the cloister. The arches are simply spectacular.

It started to rain and I ran into the nearest shop. Lucky me, they served pizza by the slice. So that was my dinner. I grabbed a few tasty looking things from the bakery next door so now I have tomorrow's breakfast. I got enough to last me for a while just in case all the cafes in the next few towns are closed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment