Thursday, October 16, 2014

Sao Joao da Madeira to Porto

The rain continues. I did have some periods where it stopped raining but then the wind was ferocious. I was actually a little frightened whenever I walked through forests because I worried that the wind might bring one of those tall eucalyptus trees down on top of me.

I wandered around a little this morning before finding the Camino since my hotel was a little off route. I spotted the church and that led me right to it.

Much of today's walk was on fairly busy roads so I spent a lot of time dodging cars. The roads are so narrow in places that there is barely room for me and a passing car. I think it would be easy to get hit so it's important to be extra vigilant in dealing with traffic.

I loved that church in Arrifana with its facade of blue and white tiles. It really is gorgeous. I notice many of the homes also are covered with colorful tiles. Many even have tiled driveways and patios.

I had a couple of breaks from asphalt when I walked along an old Medieval road near Grijo and later along the ancient Roman road out of Perozinho. The wind was at its worst on the Roman road and I was sure I would be crushed by a falling tree. Towards the end of that road I reached a section of heavy mud and a couple of logging trucks. That mess added nothing good to that otherwise charming ancient road.

That long walk into Porto was very tiring and it was pouring rain and blowing the whole way. I thought I would never reach the river crossing. The old section of the city on the north side of the river is quite spectacular. I was terribly disappointed that I was not able to take any pictures. It was far too wet. Perhaps in the morning I will have a chance. Although the forecast once again, is for rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment